Return to My Library to view purchased videos.
Problems, questions, feedback? Contact us
In this Art of Catching video clip, 15 year Major League veteran Brent Mayne demonstrates how a catcher should block and keep wild pitches in front of him correctly, safely, and consistently.
The information in this clip is fundamental to building a technically sound catcher and guaranteed to enhance your enjoyment of the game, whether you're a player or a coach.
Appropriate for baseball/softball catchers and coaches of all levels, from Little League to the Big Leagues. Enjoy.
Blocking the Baseball for Catchers
1. Description of Blocking
2. Importance of Anticipation/Proper Mental Approach
a. mental process in a game situation
b. scatter patterns of pitchers
3. Role of Arms and Glove in Blocking
4. Role of Upper Body in Blocking
5. Keeping a blocked ball close
a. being "on time" and stopped movement when ball hits
b. having the athleticism to bounce on ball
c. softness and give
5. Mechanics of Lower Body and Proper Angles
a. getting to knees as efficiently as possible
b. squaring body to bounce of ball off the dirt
6. Conclusion / Putting it all Together in Game Speed Block
7. Slow Motion Blocking